One of the agricultural products are herbs that can become easily contaminated with feces, airstream, sewage as well as parasites. That is why we must wash, sort, freeze or dried them which in this article we go over these ways
?How to wash herbs
- We must sort herbs and cut the spoiled leaves off from the fresh leaves.
- We should then wash them with cold water since not only lukewarm water wash out some nutrients but also make the herbs spongy.
- Washing process had better be under pressure.
- For washing out all the nits we should put the herbs in a suitable container which has already filled with enough water. We need then to add 3-5 drop of a good disinfectant per liter of water after that wait for five minutes in order to nits settle down at the bottom of the container, now we can take out the herbs from the container and wash them with cold water.
- For washing vegetables like potatoes, cabbages and so on which are planted under the ground, first, we should remove all the soil from them.
Be carful salt is not suitable for sanitizing.
There are different types of onion in different colors that the ones in pink and red are more suitable for preserving because of low humidity and good fragrance whereas white and yellow onions are not suitable to be kept because of their high humidity and low fragrance. Therefore, thy should be kept in a dry and cold place.
Mushrooms should be white, solid and the stem must be stick to the cap completely. Those which are mottled or have any crack on them, spoiled or even have lost their colors are not suitable.
You’d better use fresh mushrooms as much as you can because they will lose fragrance and taste after picking, so if you must keep them, you should put them in a paper bag in a refrigerator for three days.
You can put them in a freezer bag and keep it at the bottom of the refrigerator they would be fresh for one week. You can also keep them in a hole basket and the would be fresh for 3-4 days in the kitchen.
You can put peas in a freezer bag and keep them at the bottom of the refrigerator and thy would be fresh for 3 days.
High-grade green beans are green in color. Withering also decreases the quality. You can put them in a freezer bag and keep it at the bottom of the refrigerator they would be fresh for one week. You can also keep them in a hole basket and the would be fresh for 3-4 days in the kitchen.
High quality cucumber has a dark green color and does not have any damage, crushing or dripping. Wrinkles and yellow color are a sign that it is undesirable. Cucumbers should be stored tightly in plastic wrap (cellophane) for storage and placed at the bottom of the refrigerator. These cucumbers can be stored fresh for about a week.
High quality radishes have bold green leaves. Their leaves are juicy and clean and should also be free from damage, crushing or staining. For storage, radishes should be placed in polyethylene bags (Nylex or freezer bags) at the bottom of the refrigerator. In this case, the radishes stay fresh for a week.